4th of July, summer picnics, and bon fires after dark. All three call for some special treats from the kitchen! A few weeks ago my book club had an indoor picnic (due to rain!) and my friend, Heather, brought the most colorful, hearty salads…. In a mason jar! I took the idea home and put together a red, white and blue salad in a jar that would be perfect for your 4th of July get together! The Brown family will be spending our 4th at the lake, on the boat. A meal served in a jar, with a lid, is a perfect fit for the on-the-go activity. Plus the clean up is so easy…just screw the lid back on!
Red, White & Blue Salad in a Jar
To make this salad, add the ingredients to the jar in this order:
- 2-3 Tbl. strawberry cinnamon vinaigrette
- Strawberries, sliced
- Chicken, shredded
- Baby Spinach
Chill until ready to eat. To eat, unscrew lid and dump the contents of the jar onto a plate. The dressing and toppings fall out beautifully over the spinach.
Mic-Tips for Salad in a Jar:
- Really pack the jars full. It keeps things from moving and mixing. It gives you room for all your favorite ingredients!
- A pint size jar makes a nice side salad. A quart sized jar gives you an entrée sized salad. If you want soup and salad, pint works well for both, plus you can easily take the lid off and microwave the soup jar!
- Try to keep the ratio of each jar about 50-50. Half toppings, dressing, fruit, grains, proteins and half greens. But, it’s your jar to add as you please!!
- The salads can keep up to a week, depending on the ingredients!
- Enjoy experimenting with your own ingredients and dressings!
1 c. olive oil
6 large strawberries, halved
2 Tbl. balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. cinnamon